By Katie Lawrence
For Seniors, remaining independent in their home can be a challenge; however there are many resources Seniors can use to remain comfortable in their own homes. Here are a few safety tips to keep your loved ones safe!
General Home Safety
- Avoid hazardous items in high traffic areas such as electrical cords or area rugs that are not tacked down
- Consider using a medical alert device
- Do not wax floors with products that would create a slick surface
- Make sure all areas are well-lit during the day and use night lights at night
- Use non-slip mats in the shower to avoid falls
- Install hand rails in the bathroom to assist with stability
- Make sure bathroom rugs are secured to the ground
- Consider a raised toilet seat
- Place all large items such as pots and pans at waist level to avoid heavy lifting
- If necessary, use a step stool with handrails to reach high places
- Regularly evaluate food and throw out any past expiration
- Keep a fire extinguisher in close proximity to the stove and other fire hazards
Mom’s Best Friend caregivers can provide peace of mind when concerned about a senior loved one. If you are looking for a trusted caregiver to keep your loved one safe and secure in their home, we can help! We can customize care to your individual needs.
Call us at 972-446-0500 for more information!